UISG kicks off first ever food drive

In an attempt to raise awareness about child hunger, University of Iowa Student Government officials have sparked a new campaign while also hoping to establish a presence off campus.

UISG will host its first ever food drive this week. The donations will be collected and donated to the Ronald McDonald House to be given to charity.

“This food drive is more than just an opportunity to lend a helping hand,” UISG Sen. Lauren Freeman said. “This is a chance for us to establish a presence in the community and show people how much we really care.”

UISG Senator Morgan Brittain said people can donate nonperishable food items, household products, cleaning supplies, and even movies for families to watch.

Members of UISG distributed bags to 1,000 houses in Iowa City on Sunday. UISG officials will pick up the donations Nov. 16.

“We might not receive all of the bags we distributed, but the important thing is that people are donating,” Freeman said.

Volunteers targeted neighborhoods near Melrose Avenue as well as near Iowa City West High School.

Brittain said the UISG Community & Outreach Committee brought about this initiative, and members of UISG are participating in the food drive.

Freeman said a book drive was hosted last year, and this is the first food drive hosted by the student government.

“It was last year’s book drive that inspired the creation of the current food drive,” UISG Speaker of the Senate Sam Wampler said.

Wampler said this food drive is necessary because it supports a great cause and will ease the struggles of those deprived of food and basic supplies. He also said this food drive is a great way to give back to Iowa City after how much the city has done for UI students and the rest of its people.

“My hope is that we can continue to do this every year,” he said. “It’s an all-around great experience. Soon, no child will have to go to bed hungry.”

Freeman said the success of this food drive would serve to provide understanding from the community and show people that the UISG is there for them.

“I think this experience will help to establish a stronger relationship between the university and the community,” she said. “It would be really great if the community will be able to help us in the future, as we have helped them.”