‘Nerdcore’ rapper MC Chris returns

Though glasses and suspenders aren’t usually part of his stage attire, rapper MC Chris has been dubbed one of the founders of “nerdcore” — a genre of music combining rap with nerd culture.

At 8 p.m. Friday, MC Chris is guaranteed to bring his signature geeky ways to Gabe’s, 330 E. Washington St., alongside opening acts MC Lars and Spose.

“[MC Chris] is absolutely the connoisseur of all things nerdy,” said Alex Beach, production manager and talent buyer for Kickstand Productions. “As a company, we’ve been working with him for over six years, and he always puts on a fantastic show.”

Yacht Club manager Pete McCarthy said this “fantastic show” continues to attract fans to MC Chris performances.

“MC Chris is different from a lot of artists because he definitely has a cult following,” McCarthy said. “I often see the same people at every show of his. He has a really solid fan base.”

Some of MC Chris’s most popular tracks focus on Boba Fett and Han Solo from Star Wars, pizza, Wii video games, and wizards.

MC Chris also differs from many musicians in that he does not focus solely on music but also participates in many other forms of art. He has been an animator on many shows on “Adult Swim” and has been a writer, actor, and even a producer for a brief period of time.

Opening act MC Lars is a Californian rapper and cartoonist, while Maine hip-hop artist Spose is best known for his self-deprecating 2009 hit “I’m Awesome.’

Doors will open at 7 p.m.; tickets for the performance cost $15.

— by Ashley Murphy