The Box Score: Weisman passes milestone faster than any Kirk Ferentz-era player

Mark Weisman career games played — 28

The bruising Iowa running back became one of seven Hawkeyes to amass at least 2,000 yards and 20 touchdowns in a career during Iowa’s win over Purdue on Sept. 27. After going for 76 yards and 2 touchdowns, Weisman now sits at 2,050 career yards and 22 touchdowns.

What’s more impressive than his numbers is that the Air Force transfer did so in only three seasons. Only Shonn Greene and Albert Young have reached that milestone since Kirk Ferentz took over as head coach.

Greene surpassed 2,000 yards in his 33rd career game and scored his 20th touchdown in the next game, his last in an Iowa uniform. Young passed the 2,000-yard mark in during his junior year and scored his 20th touchdown in his 37th career game.

Other Iowa players in the club are Sedrick Shaw (4,156 yards, 33 touchdowns), Ladell Betts (3,686/25), Tavian Banks (2,977/33), Owen Gill (2,556/22), and Ronnie Harmon (2,271/22).

Weisman has 260 yards and 6 touchdowns this season, and is on pace to shatter his current touchdown total of 8 in both his sophomore and junior seasons.

Jake Rudock vs. C.J. Beathard’s full first six quarters

Much was made of Beathard’s first start in a Hawkeye uniform leading up to the game on Sept. 27. His first game as a starter featured some good and some bad.

Beathard played sparingly last season and has only had six quarters as “the guy.” His performance compared with Rudock’s first six is somewhat similar.

In a full game against Northern Illinois and a half against Missouri State, Rudock totaled 351 yards on 33-of-55 passing for a touchdown and 2 interceptions. He added 7 rushes for 44 yards and a touchdown.

In a half against Pittsburgh and a full game at Purdue, Beathard racked up 343 yards on 24-of-45 passing, 2 touchdowns, and an interception. Beathard rushed 10 times, netting 34 yards.

While Rudock has the edge (albeit a slight one) in every category, the one category Beathard leads in is points scored. While at the helm, Beathard led the offense to 41 points. With Rudock, the Hawkeyes scored 27.

Of course, total points don’t tell the whole story because of starting field position, dropped passes, etc., but looking at the statistics doesn’t provide too much clarity to those wondering who Iowa’s quarterback will be the rest of the season.

Total defense — 310.4 yards per game (fifth in the Big Ten)

The Hawkeyes defense has been a strong point so far this season, trailing only Wisconsin, Michigan, Penn State, and Michigan State.

The Hawkeyes have given up 466 yards on the ground through five games (93.2 per contest), which ranks fourth in the Big Ten. The Iowa front seven has also accounted for 12 sacks this season, the fourth-highest total in the league.

Rutgers has 21 sacks, Michigan State 15, Penn State and Purdue with 13, and Iowa in a four-way tie with 12.

Strong safety John Lowdermilk’s 2 interceptions in the fourth quarter against the Boilermakers also moved him into a seven-way tie for the Big Ten lead in that category. Maryland’s William Likely leads the conference with 3.

Follow @dannyapayne on Twitter for news, updates, and analysis about the Iowa football team.