Track and field hires new assistant coach

Joey Woody, the director of Iowa track and field, has announced that Andrew Dubs, who has experience in the SEC, ACC, and Ivy League, will join the Hawkeye staff and direct the throwing program.

Most recently, Dubs was an assistant coach at Harvard from 2012-14, directing the men’s and women’s throwing programs. During his time there, he helped the team to three Ivy League team championships.

Under Dubs’ brief stay with the Crimson, his student-athletes set 12 school records, won seven individual league titles, broke two Ivy League records, and were recognized for two All-American honors. His recruiting class of 2013 was one of the most decorated in the country, and his throwing group set the points-scored record at the Ivy League indoor championships last season.

Before his time at Harvard, Dubs was director of operations at North Carolina. He began his coaching career as a volunteer for Auburn while earning a master’s degree in higher education and sports management.

“I want to thank Coach Woody for this opportunity,” Dubs said in a release. “I also want to thank Associate Athletics Director Paula Jantz and the entire search committee for their time throughout this process.  It is clear the support for Iowa track and field is strong, and that starts at the top with administration. I’m honored to join an already talented coaching staff, and I look forward to bringing Big Ten and NCAA championships back to Iowa City.”

Dubs will fill the spot vacated by former throwing coach Scott Cappos, who left Iowa to take over Nebraska’s throwing program in August.

— by Courtney Baumann