Iowa Chop House to open

After nine months of planning and designing, Iowa Chop House will open its doors to customers while focusing on shopping locally and supporting the state of Iowa.

“The big aspect is that we are local,” said George Etre, owner of the Chop House. “Everything here is handpicked, and we have something for everyone. We reach all clientele.”

Etre said one of the goals of the Chop House, 223 E. Washington St., is to be unique and not like any other restaurant around.

“With the beer wall and menu, we are trying to do stuff not everyone else is doing,” he said. “We are being creative with classic foods.”

The beer wall is located in the back of the restaurant, and patrons may purchase a wristband to use during their meals, which allows them to scan their wrists and sample different beers by the ounce.

In addition to a one-of-a-kind beer wall, the Chop House also has a unique menu, Etre said.

“[Our menu] is hometown classics with a hometown spin on it,” he said. “We take these things that are classics and put our own local spin on them.”

Josh Krakauer, who ate at the restaurant for the press event Monday, said he thought the experience was unique.

“There is not a place like this in Iowa,” he said. “The people here are really all about the concept of Iowa.”

Etre also owns Takanami, 219 Iowa Ave., Formosa, 221 E. College St. and Givanni’s, 109 E. College St.

Charles Wilson, who has been a server for Etre for four years, said he could not pass up the opportunity to work at the new restaurant.

“It’s run by well put-together owners,” he said. “It’s a very comforting and family-oriented. There is great food and drinks.”

Wilson also said the major reason he thinks people will come to the Chop House is because the theme is Iowa.

“[It has] anything that you can think of that comes from Iowa,” he said. “It has the country feel.”

Katy Brown, who was in attendance at the press event Monday, said she was pleased with the uniqueness of the venue.

The wood in the restaurant is restored from an old barn that was being torn down near Solon, making it truly an Iowa place, Etre said.

“I like the Iowa theme and the woodwork from the barn in Solon,” said Anne Suter, who was also in attendance on Monday.

Coralville resident Julie Loomer said that everything is Iowa-based is a benefit.

“You are getting a fresher meal, too, because they don’t have to ship [the food] in,” she said.