C-SPAN bus arrives at Iowa

On the third stop during its Big Ten tour, the C-SPAN Bus allowed University of Iowa students to board and learn about national politics, history, and nonfiction books for a day.

“The purpose of our being here is to let students know the mission of C-SPAN and to help them make informed decisions,” said La’Shawna Saint-Preux, a marketing representative with C-SPAN.

The red C-SPAN Bus features a small studio for interviews as well as interactive computers on which students can access quizzes and listen to C-SPAN informational and newsworthy content.

The C-SPAN Bus reaches out to universities, libraries, high schools, and other venues to help educate young voters.

UI spokesman Tom Moore said the bus is a good way for students to gather information about internships and educational resources.

“We believe this is a good opportunity for students at the UI to learn about opportunities to advance their careers outside of the classroom,” he said.

C-SPAN marketing representatives are on the bus during the tour in order to answer questions as well as help students search for clips online.  

“Our job is to deliver the message, not to create our own message,” C-SPAN marketing representative Doug Hemming said.  “Our goal is to be a resource and let people draw their own conclusions.”

UI freshman Alisha Teutsch, who toured the bus, said it can be a helpful tool for all students.

“It can bring them information they didn’t know they had access to,” she said.

UI President Sally Mason will board the bus this morning to speak about higher-education issues.