Jordan ready to go for Hawkeyes

Wisconsin transfer Jessie Jordan has found herself a place in Iowa City.

The senior golfer from Urbana, Ohio, will play in her first meet as a Hawkeye on Saturday and Sept. 14 at the Fossum Invitational in East Lansing, Michigan.

Following the 2012-13 season, Jordan transferred from Wisconsin after contacting Iowa head coach Megan Menzel. Jordan said she has loved her time in Iowa.

“Jessie was a good fit for us,” Menzel said. “She had some good junior playing experience, and we felt good about her coming to Iowa. We thought she would be able to contribute and help us out.”

In high school, Jordan had an impressive résumé. She finished sixth her senior year in the Division II Ohio State High School Golf Championship and led her team to a sixth-place finish overall. She was named Southwestern Ohio Player of the Year that same year and qualified for the USGA Women’s Amateur Public Links tournament as well as the Callaway Junior World Championships twice.

Although Jordan has not seen college action yet, she is excited to compete this weekend as an individual rather than for the team.    

“It gives you a bit more freedom,” she said. “When you’re playing as a team, your teammates rely on you.”

Jordan believes that playing as an individual will be a good thing going into her first tournament as a Hawkeye. She said that the lessened pressure will giver her a good starting point.

Assistant coach Todd Selders agreed. He said playing as an individual would be good experience for her starting out the season.

“I think it’s more pressure when you play as a part of a team. There will be pressure, of course, because it is her first event and she will be nervous, a little bit, but we will coach her the best we can through it,” Selders said.

Jordan has been doing what she can in order to prepare for the tournament in East Lansing.

“I’ve just been getting out to the course as much as I can,” Jordan said. “I’ve been working on a few mechanical things before I head into the weekend so I can rely on feel … and getting my classes in order so I can be ready to go.”

Selders also noted her the work Jordan has put in, saying that she has been working hard in the practices the coaches have planned for the week and has been doing a good job getting ready for her first tournament in a while.

Becoming a Hawkeye seems like it has come easily to Jordan, and both the golfer and Menzel said that the transition into the Iowa golf program has gone smoothly.

“Jessie is a hard worker and she’s got a great personality so we really just enjoy having her around,” Menzel said.

Follow @cbomb12 on Twitter for news, updates, and analysis about the Iowa women’s golf team.