ISIS program receives updates

The University of Iowa Instructional Technology Service web designers edited the layout for the new ISIS interface over the summer to give students an easier way to access the website they use for class registration and financial payments.

Web ISIS, the main login screen, was formatted and brought to the system in early 2000. ISIS features were gradually applied and initiated over the years, and in 2012 a mobile application was brought to smart phones so students could access ISIS anywhere, although the app has limitations.

Also in 2012, the website faced minor changes to the design but remained a program for desktops and laptops mainly.

This year, the new design was tested with groups of students and staff in mid-August. Web designing took approximately a month, and implementation took about six weeks.

“The only costs were staff time, and there were no out-of-pocket costs to implement the ISIS user interface redesign,” said Bill Evanson, manager and technical lead at MAUI Student Records Systems. “We started the ISIS redesign at the beginning of the summer, first working with web designers and developers and then implementing the changes in a test environment.”

The new layout displays an easier way to register for classes and arranging a time schedule that is easier to read. These improvements should help students new and old with desktop and mobile use as they begin the 2014 fall semester.

— by Dan Renner