Hawkeyes to move to new home in October

The Richard O. Jacobson Football Operations Building is set to become the new home of the Iowa football team during the Hawkeyes’ first bye week, the first week in October.

The Jacobson building is combined with the existing indoor practice facility called the Stew and LeNore Hansen Football Performance Center. The project cost roughly $55 million.

It will house new locker rooms, team meeting rooms, and a strength and conditioning room with 18 weight-lifting racks. Other amenities include coaches’ offices and an exhibit space with Iowa football memorabilia.

Iowa head football coach Kirk Ferentz has spent just shy of 25 combined years coaching at Iowa, and the new building will house his fourth office.

“We had to raise a lot of money to put this new building up, and I’m just so appreciative, not only for the people that have their names on the walls but for everybody that chipped in,” Ferentz said.

For starting middle linebacker Quinton Alston — who said he got lost in the facility the first time he went inside — the facility is going to benefit the Hawkeyes in more than one way.

First, the new strength and conditioning facility, which also features turf for agility and speed drills as well as a nutrition bar, is going to be a way for strength and condition coach Chris Doyle to maximize the training in that area.

Second, the facility will help with recruiting in the future.

“It’s going to be a big recruiting tool,” Alston said. “Everybody, when they’re getting recruited, they want to see big, shiny things. I guess this is our big, shiny thing now. It’s going to be pretty amazing.”