Cellucci named field hockey interim head coach

In the wake of Iowa field-hockey head coach Tracey Griesbaum being fired by Athletics Director Gary Barta on Monday, associate head coach Lisa Cellucci has agreed to serve as interim head coach of the program.

Barta announced the news Wednesday and also said assistant coach Michael Boal has agreed to remain on the staff.

“The last few days have been very emotional for me,” Cellucci said. “Tracey [Griesbaum] has been my coach, my mentor, and best friend. I love the field-hockey program at the University of Iowa. I am a product of this program, this university, and the Iowa City community.” 

Cellucci played for Iowa and is the all-time saves leader with 592 saves. The 1998 Iowa graduate will entering her 15th year as a member of the coaching staff.

“Lisa Cellucci is fully prepared to lead our field-hockey program,” Barta said in a release. “She is well respected in the field-hockey community, by our current student-athletes in our field-hockey program, and by our former student-athletes.  As a graduate of the UI and a three-time All-American at the UI, she is well aware of what is required to achieve at a high level at the UI, in the Big Ten, and nationally.”

Cellucci has previously worked as the recruiting coordinator and director of the Iowa Field Hockey Camp. As an assistant coach, she worked primarily with goalkeepers and defense.