Barta fires field hockey’s Griesbaum

Iowa Athletics Director Gary Barta terminated the contract of field-hockey head coach Tracey Griesbaum on Monday. Griesbaum would have opened her 15th year as head coach with an exhibition against Louisville on Aug. 23 at Grant Field and at the Big Ten/ACC Challenge on Aug. 30-31 in Chapel Hill, North Carolina against Wake Forest and North Carolina.

“Tracey has had a successful career as our head field-hockey coach. I am appreciative of her service,” Barta said in a release. “Following a comprehensive review of the field-hockey program conducted this summer, I have made the decision it was time for a change in leadership.”

Griesbaum will receive a one-time payment of $200,000 in the event of a not-for-cause termination. Barta said he is working to find new leadership for the program as quickly as possible.

“Our immediate focus is to provide our returning student-athletes the assistance they need to make this transition and begin their season,” Barta said.

Over the course of the past 14 seasons, Griesbaum has coached Iowa to three Big Ten Tournament championships and one Big Ten regular-season championship. Iowa has also appeared in six NCAA Tournaments under the West Chester graduate and was in the 2008 NCAA Final Four.

Last season, Iowa went 13-8 and lost 3-2 in the Big Ten Tournament championship to Michigan State.