Game Time in review

The Game Time League is a great experience for the Iowa women to hone their skills on the court, and to prepare for the upcoming season of Hawkeye basketball. Many of Iowa’s best have played games this summer and have shown improvement, making many Iowa fans anxious for this year’s season.

All of the Iowa players that have participated in the Game Time league this summer have had exceptional performances, including Ally Disterhoft, Chase Coley, Sam Logic, Hailey Schneden, Carly Mohns, Bethany Doolittle, Kathryn Reynolds, Claire Till, Nicole Smith, Whitney Jennings, Kali Peschel, and Melissa Dixon.

Noteworthy Hawkeye performances have been numerous this summer, but a few have stood out from the rest.

Disterhoft and Coley, have led their team to the Game Time league championship without losing a single game, and Dixon scored 63 points in a single game against coach Joe Johnston’s team earlier this month.

Incoming freshmen Jennings has shown her excellent vision and amazing speed on the court, and senior guard Logic played tough physical basketball even when a loss seemed inevitable.

Iowa center Doolittle has expressed how she has honed her skills after this summers’ Game Time league.

“I think my overall confidence has improved,” Doolittle said. “Playing with these girls is just fun for us — we don’t get to play against anybody besides our team normally. Its kind of fun getting out here and playing with some other people and I think that loosens everyone up and lets them play their own game.”

Game Time is also a good way for upcoming Iowa players to get accustomed to college level basketball, both by having them compete at a higher level and introducing them to some of the teammates they will be playing with in the upcoming season.

“I feel like I’ve improved a lot, in the weight room, and just working out and having college practices I think have just helped me out to get stronger and to just understand the game better,” Mohns said.

Even though they do not have to work as hard as they do in season, Game Time allows the Iowa women to have fun with the game and to try out new techniques that they might not get to work on normally.

“Game Time in general I think is a great time to work on all aspects of your game, just working on different moves, ball handling, shooting, and everything,” Disterhoft said. “I think Game Time allows us to come out here and maybe do a few things on the court that we wouldn’t do in season. We’re out here to have fun and to win a few games; it’s been a fun summer.”