Six Hawkeyes earn preseason honors

Six Iowa football players earned College Sports Madness Preseason honors last week.

Brandon Scherff, Carl Davis, Kevonte Martin-Manley, Austin Blythe, John Lowdermilk, and Desmond King were among those from the University of Iowa who received the honor on July 25, according to a release.

Blythe started all 13 games at center last season and helped Iowa allow only 15 sacks the entire season — the fewest in the Big Ten. He was also named to the Rimington Trophy Watch List.

This is one of the many preseason honors Scherff received thus far, who started all 13 games as left tackle last year. The Denison, Iowa, native was also named to the 2014 Rotary Lombardi Award and Outland Trophy preseason watch lists.

Martin-Manley finished last season with 314 yards and 2 touchdowns on 20 punt returns, ranking second in the Big Ten and eighth in the nation. The Pontiac, Michigan, native was also named to the Paul Hornung Award watch list.

Lowdermilk also started the entire season as strong safety, with his first career start against Northern Illinois, when he recorded a career-high 8 tackles, 3 solo.

Davis had a combined 42 tackles to round out last season. The Detroit native was also named to the 2014 Bednarik Award preseason watch list, the Outland Trophy preseason watch list, and the Bronko Nagurski Trophy watch list.

King made 12 starts as a true freshman, recording 44 solo tackles, 2 recovered fumbles, and 3 tackles for a loss.

Iowa will open its season against Northern Iowa on Aug. 30 at Kinnick Stadium at 11 a.m.

— by Jordyn Reiland