Appel signs on in support of “No Perks Pledge”

In an effort to protect taxpayers from wasteful spending by the U.S. Congress, 3rd District candidate Staci Appel announced last week of her support for a “No Perks Pledge.”

The six-tiered move by the Democratic hopeful calls for the freezing and in some cases the complete shutdown of congressional pay, the end of special treatment for Wall Street lobbyists, the removal of congressional pensions, the closure of a pay loophole, and the implementation of further binds on congressional spending.

“It’s disgusting that politicians are benefiting from perks and luxuries funded by Iowa taxpayers,” Appel, 48, of Ackworth said in a July 24 media release. “It is time to put an end to the insider culture of benefits and special privileges for members of Congress.” 

Ben Miller, Appel’s campaign manager, said the goal of the pledge is to hold members of Congress responsible to the nation’s taxpayers and the constituents that they represent back home.

Requests for comment and to join the movement by Appel’s campaign staff to Republican opponent David Young were not immediately returned as of Sunday evening, Miller said.

Campaign officials from Young’s office also did not return requests for comment by The Daily Iowan as of Sunday evening.

“I think it’s important that Iowa voters ask the question: Is he going to change,” Miller said about Young and his longtime career as an aide on Capitol Hill.

He said Young, a resident of Van Meter who previously served as chief of staff to Sen. Chuck Grassley, R-Iowa, has forgotten about the state’s residents.

During her tenure in the Iowa Senate, Appel spearheaded bipartisan legislation that reorganized state government and rooted out more than $125 million in waste, duplicative spending, and inefficiencies, the release said.

“I’m hopeful that my opponent is willing to join me and pledge to put the middle class ahead of self-interested perks,” Appel said in the release. “That may not be how Washington works, but that’s how we do things here in Iowa.”