Prime Time, Game Time predictions

Who has been the best frontcourt player this season?

Payne: Adam Woodbury, no question. The 7-1 center has done his best to silence the haters this season, putting up 24 points per game, good for second in the league behind Northern Iowa’s Matt Bohannon.

Whether the big man took teammate Gabe Olaseni’s being the No. 1 draft pick as motivation, it’s clear he’s outperformed him this season. Woodbury is shooting 11 percent better from the paint and outplayed the London native in their June 26 matchup.

Steffen: Iowa’s Bethany Doolittle has had an impressive performance in Game Time this summer.  Averaging 28 points per game, she has helped lead her team to a 2-2 record going into the playoffs.

Which team is a dark horse heading into the playoffs?

Payne: If there is one team that knows how to beat Dan Aherns’ squad, it’s Randy Larson’s. Led by Woodbury, the Prime Time commissioner’s team simply outperformed Aherns’ in the season’s final week.

It’s still tough to see Aherns’ bunch losing twice to the same team, but if there is a team that can take down the league’s No. 1 seed, it’s going to be Woodbury and Company. Backup Iowa point guard Anthony Clemmons would have to duplicate his 26-point performance.

Steffen: The powerful pair of Hawkeyes Kali Peschel and Whitney Jennings makes Pat McCool’s team the one that will surprise observers in the playoffs.

With Peschel at forward averaging 23-plus points per game and Jennings being one of the quickest players in the Big Ten, there are definitely big things on the horizon for this team, which finished fourth in the regular season with a 2-2 record.

Who has been the most surprising player this season?

Payne: Bohannon has surprised Iowa fans who don’t follow the Panthers, especially. After averaging fewer than 10 points per game during his sophomore year, the Marion native has come into form this summer as the league’s leading scorer with 28 per game.

Bohannon has done it accurately, too, shooting 46-percent from the field including 42-percent from behind the arc. He’s been a crucial part of Larson’s team and will look forward to playing back in North Liberty.

In his first two games of the year, the 6-4 guard netted 33 and 40 before heading to Waterloo and only scoring 29 and 12 to cap the regular season.

Steffen: Incoming Iowa freshman Chase Coley has been a powerhouse this summer, averaging 23-plus points and 10-plus rebounds; she impresses observers on both sides of the ball.

With the absence of Iowa’s Ally Disterhoft last week, Coley stepped up her game and scored an impressive 40 points. With this effort, Coley helped her team remain at the top spot in Game Time.