Doolittle and Reynolds key for Johnston’s crew

After digging themselves a two-game hole at the beginning of the Game Time League season, Bethany Doolittle and Company seem to be hitting stride just in time.

Joe Johnston’s team won a 98-97 contest over Randy Larson’s crew last week, and this week, they bested Brian Joens’ team, largely thanks to key contributions from two players.

Doolittle and Kathryn Reynolds scored a combined 60 points in the 97-71 victory.

Although they are proud of the win, Johnston’s team is looking ahead to next week.

“Well, that was a good game just because our team really came together,” Doolittle said. “Next game, we’re going to have to come out and build upon being able to communicate and kind of just play together better as a team. We’re playing better, but it’s hard to come out and play with a couple girls you’ve never met in your whole life. I think we are getting better at that and getting better at knowing each others’ strengths.”

Joens’ team had suffered the loss of several players and had to recruit two players — including Maryville’s Alissa Oney — from Johnston’s team, putting five players on each team with no subs.

Despite the lack of players both teams played a very physical basketball game, but because of the change, both teams struggled on the offensive side of the ball in the beginning of the game.  

Johnston’s team began pulling away at the six-minute mark of the first half after capitalizing on many mistakes by Joens’ team. With Doolittle’s 14 points and Reynolds’ 13 points in the first half, Johnston’s team had a comfortable lead of 49-34 going into the break.

Reynolds had nothing but praise about Doolittle playing in the Game Time League with her.

“It’s really fun to get on the court with her and kind of work on dishing it into her and her making a move or kicking it back out,” Reynolds said. “It’s really fun to play with her because she’s so talented, and it makes it a lot of fun in Game Time League.”

Reynolds shot 9-of-12 from the floor and 4-of-9 from 3-point land. Doolittle shot 15-of-33 from the floor with 8 rebounds and 3 assists on the night.

Johnston’s team, which had struggled early on, has finally kicked into gear this summer. The team’s two leaders, Reynolds and Doolittle, have worked together to push their team into a force to be reckoned with in the upcoming playoff weeks.

“Well, we had a much better team, I think all around, our girls really came together tonight and played team basketball better than they ever have,” Johnston said. “Sydney Greiner was just fantastic, and Brette Logic, Sam’s little sister, just looked great; she had 20 assists. The players we didn’t really expect to be the best really played well tonight.”