Branstad, Reynolds launch traffic safety initiative

Gov. Terry Branstad and Lt. Gov. Kim Reynolds on Monday launched a statewide effort to keep Iowa residents safe on the state’s roadways.

According to a news release, the “Zero Fatalities” plan aims to keep every man, woman, and child safe on Iowa’s roadways.

The Iowa Departments of Transportation, Health, and Public Safety, through the Governor’s Traffic Safety Bureau, support the initiative —which is a part of a larger campaign alongside Arizona, Nevada, and Utah.

“Last year, 317 men, women, and children died on Iowa’s highways. While that is a decrease from years past, we know with simple improvements, we can do much better and prevent traffic deaths,” Branstad said in the release. “If each of us adopts a zero-fatalities goal for our families, we can make zero a reality statewide. To achieve this, we all must give full attention to the task of driving when we are behind the wheel.”

The program highlights five dangerous driving behaviors and encourages Iowans to: slow down, drive sober, focus on the road, stay alert and buckle up, every seat, every time.

“With the Fourth of July holiday right around the corner and summer travel increasing, I join Gov. Branstad in fully endorsing this multiagency effort to increase safety on Iowa’s roadways,” Reynolds said in the release. “With just a few proactive adjustments to traveling, we can significantly reduce traffic deaths and obtain our goal of zero fatalities.”

The program will be advertised through television, radio, and online campaigns, including social-media platforms.

The program supports Iowa Strategic Highway Safety Plan that includes efforts in law enforcement, engineering, emergency medical services, education, and driver attitudes and behaviors to improve the overall safety of Iowa’s roadways. 

— by Quentin Misiag