Board to decide on officers, vacancy

Iowa City School Board members will determine the board’s leadership this week.

On Tuesday, the board members will meet to determine the preferred process for filling the board vacancy after board President Sally Hoelscher resigned, as well as to elect a new board officer.

Board Vice President Marla Swesey, whose term expires in 2015, could step up as president.

Hoelscher resigned last week, announcing the move through email to the board members and Superintendent Stephen Murley. She also announced it on Facebook.

Swesey was the previous president of the board until the fall of 2013. Hoelscher was elected to the board in 2011 and was elected president of the board in September 2013.

According to state law, the board will need to appoint a new member to serve until the next school election, which is Sept. 8, 2015.

In the summer of 2011, board member Michael Cooper resigned, and Jan Leff filled Cooper’s position until the September 2011 election.

With the law, the public can’t petition for a special election, and board members will not be able to vote in favor of holding a special election.

A special election would only occur if the board fails to make an appointment within 30 days of Hoelscher’s resignation, which is by July 24.

John Deeth, an account clerk in the Johnson County Auditor’s Office, said in an email that if a special election is held, it would most likely be on Aug. 26, and the cost of the election would be paid by the School District.