Iowa players shine in Game Time’s second week

Brendan Unkrich’s team 105, Joe Johnston’s team 65

After last week’s win, Unkrich’s team faced off against Johnston’s in North Liberty on Wednesday.

Iowa’s Ally Disterhoft started strong with a pass to Hawkeye Chase Coley to put the first points on the board for Unkrich’s team. Disterhoft continued to play aggressively into the first half, scoring 18 points and helping Unkrich’s team capitalize on many of the opposing players’ mistakes.

Johnston’s team struggled on both sides of the ball throughout most of the first half. Iowa’s Bethany Doolittle did manage to score back-to-back field goals right before the break, putting a little life into the team, but it still struggled in the second half against Disterhoft. 

“I guess it’s just something we can learn from; I mean, they definitely shot the lights out of the ball,” Doolittle said. “We have to pick our shots better a little bit and make sure we take shots we can make, and we have to work on defense and rebounding. Those are the three things I guess we can work on.”

Johnston’s team started to perform better offensively in the second half but could not keep up with Disterhoft and Company. The sophomore led the team with 42 points.

“It was just a fun game; I mean, my team really liked to push the ball, play up tempo, get out and run, and when you do that you’re going to put a lot of points on the board,” Disterhoft said. “That’s how we play at Iowa, so it’s fun to play like that, especially with these girls, so it was a good night all around for all of us.”

Brian Joens’ team 85, Randy Larson’s team 72

Hawkeyes Nicole Smith and Claire Till attacked Larson’s team, which was missing key Iowa player Melissa Dixon, giving it a quick lead. Joens’ team led comfortably throughout the first half, and after a last-second buzzer-beater for Larson’s team, went into the break leading 49-30.

Smith and Till worked well together in the second half, Smith shooting from the field and Till driving the ball. Smith led all scorers with 28 points.

“You know anytime Dixon isn’t here, that changes up your game plan quite a bit, because she’s one of the best shooters you’ll ever see,” Joens said. “Overall, Nicole [Smith] shot well, Claire [Till] handled the ball out here really well, and implemented all the other kids. Overall, I thought it was a really great night.”

Pat McCool’s team 102, Clark Anderson’s team 86

Despite Iowa player Sam Logic arriving for Anderson’s team, Iowa freshman Whitney Jennings and McCool’s squad outshone Anderson’s. While a matchup between Logic and Jennings received the highest billing, Kali Peschel’s 26 points and second-consecutive double-double were the driving force behind the team’s success. With Lauren Buck also breaking double figures, McCool’s starters were able to overcome an undermanned roster — only six players were active on Wednesday — a size disadvantage, and ultimately, their opponents.