Hawkeyes and company set for Game Time

The Game Time League tryouts took place Sunday morning, and things look exciting for the upcoming summer basketball season. After some short warm-up drills, and a quick introduction, the women were split into two teams for the tryout scrimmage.

Team Black faced off against Team White, and from the moment the whistle was blown, both teams formed formidable offenses and defenses. The teams consisted of players of different ages, experience, and playing styles, but they quickly learned to work together quite effectively.

Team Black developed good communication during the scrimmage, allowing many players to capitalize on both sides of the ball. Ali Browning, who played at North Dakota State and was drafted by Clark Anderson in the third round, was constantly reading the defense and positioning herself well, resulting in several jump shots and lay-ups throughout the scrimmage. She will play with Hawkeyes Sam Logic and Hailey Schneden.

Alissa Oney — a graduate of Cedar Rapids Washington, was drafted in the fourth round by Joe Johnston and will play with Iowa’s Bethany Doolittle and Kathryn Reynolds — was not only very aggressive when driving the ball, she also netted several 3-point shots.

Team Black’s Griffin Reed, from Ashford University, who was drafted by Anderson in the fourth round — also scored a couple of 3-pointers. Madalyn Welty — a sophomore at St. Ambrose — was drafted by Randy Larson in the sixth round. Welty, who will play with Hawkeyes Melissa Dixon and Carly Mohns, guarded well on defense.

Game Time League coach Brendan Unkrich said this year’s tryout featured a higher quality of basketball than it has seen in past years.

“Better than years past — the ball went in the hoop more,” he said. “We were looking for girls who will be role players, and we found several.”

Team White showed exceptional hustle offensively and defensively throughout the scrimmage. Emily Soy — a sophomore at Southeastern Community College in Burlington who was drafted by Unkrich in the fifth round who will play with Iowa’s Ally Disterhoft and Chase Coley— sprinted all over the court and performed well defensively.

In addition to Unkrich, Anderson was also impressed with how many of the women showed intangibles.

“[The] girls played hard, and it was a good opportunity to see the girls who don’t play a lot,” he said. “Their effort is a good indicator of how they will play in the league.”

Twelve members of the Iowa women’s basketball team were also taken in the draft even though they did not participate in the tryouts. Coming off of a strong season in which they lost in the Big Ten Tournament championship game, league director Randy Larson said he looks forward to watching Hawkeyes play.

“I’m excited, because I think the Iowa team will be a real contender later in the Big Ten championship,” he said.