Catching up on Hawkeye sports

After roughly a monthlong publishing break, The Daily Iowan is back to provide its readers with everything there is to know about Iowa sports. Here are a few things that happened while we were away.

Dilanni takes over soccer

After Hawkeye soccer coach Ron Rainey left Iowa for Dartmouth in the spring, Iowa was without a head coach. But that changed when Dave Dilanni was named the new coach in charge.

He was the head coach for 11 seasons at Grand Valley State, where he put together a 221-18-18 record. He has coached 21 All-Americans.

Baseball in the Big Ten Tournament

The Iowa baseball team finished its regular season eighth in the Big Ten, which earned it the last spot in the Big Ten Tournament. The Hawkeyes lost, 5-2, to top-seeded Indiana in the first game.

Head coach Rick Heller’s crew beat Minnesota in its next game by a score of 2-1. In its final game of the season, Michigan smoked the Hawkeyes, 7-1. The highlight of that game was a superman-esque slide on a steal home by Jake Yacinich. The junior scored the lone Iowa run.

Ramos wins World Team Trials

Former Iowa 133-pounder Tony Ramos — the 2014 NCAA champion at the weight — dropped down a weight class to 57 kilograms (125.5 pounds) and won the World Team Trials in Madison, Wis.

As a result of the victory, Ramos will join Team USA at the World Championships in Uzbekistan in September.

Track and Field

Both the men’s and women’s track and field squads competed in both the NCAA West Regional and NCAA meet.

In the former, the Hawkeyes sent eight to Eugene, Oregon, for the NCAA Championships, which wrapped up on June 14.

Longtime track and field and cross-country coach Larry Wieczorek also announced his retirement, effective in early July. He has been involved with the Hawkeyes for more than 30 years.

Football

Nico Law announced on Facebook he will leave Iowa. The defensive back was arrested for disorderly conduct a few days before announcing his decision; the senior played in all 13 games for the Hawkeyes last season.

Head coach Kirk Ferentz also hired Seth Wallace as a recruiting coordinator. He was previously a graduate assistant with Iowa and was the defensive coordinator at Valdosta State.

MLB draft

Three former Hawkeye baseball players were taken in the MLB draft: The Los Angeles Angels took junior shortstop Yacinich in the eighth round. Senior outfielder Taylor Zeutenhorst and junior pitcher Sasha Kuebel were both taken in the 38th round. The former went to the Seattle Mariners and the latter to his hometown St. Louis Cardinals. All three signed contracts.