Baseball splits opening pair of games

The Iowa baseball team woke up the bats in the second game after a disappointing loss to Ohio State, rolling over the Buckeyes, 17-2, to even the series.

The win was the largest margin of victory in Iowa-Ohio State series history, and the 17 Iowa runs were the most it has registered against a Big Ten opponent since 2011.

Pitcher Sasha Kuebel earned his sixth win of the season, getting some serious run support.

“We played well in all facets of the game,” head coach Rick Heller said in a release. “Sasha gave us a great start and put us in a great situation tomorrow with our bullpen. Our offense was outstanding all day long and had great at-bats up-and-down the lineup.”

Iowa was red hot at the plate, with every Hawkeye batter recording a hit, including five who recorded multi-hit games.

Junior Jake Yacinich posted his third four-hit game of the season, going 4-for-6 with 3 RBIs.

Sophomore Tyler Peyton also had a career day at the plate, registering 4 RBIs and his second home run in as many days.

“Our energy and effort was outstanding, which was exactly what we needed after a tough loss yesterday,” Heller said in a release. “The guys came out and played extremely well.”

While Iowa dominated Game 2, the Hawkeyes didn’t fare as well in Game 1.

After giving the Buckeyes a 7-0 lead in the first three innings of the May 3 contest, Iowa struggled to mount a successful comeback, and in the end, the gap proved insurmountable.

Iowa pitcher Andrew Hedrick took his third loss of the season to move his record to 3-3.

“It was a day where we didn’t play very well,” head coach Rick Heller said in a release. “They hit a couple of wind-blown home runs, and we had a couple of free bases before that, which led to big innings early on and put us behind. We had a chance to score early, but [Ohio State starter Tanner] Tully was good through six innings.”

Despite the sloppy play in the first few innings, Heller was pleased with how the Hawkeyes battled back to score a few runs in the final three innings.

“Our guys didn’t quit; they scrapped and gave ourselves a chance to come back late,” Heller said after the loss. “We put a couple of runs on the board and had an opportunity if we could have gotten the big hit or got one up in the wind, it might have been one of those comebacks that don’t happen very often. But it didn’t happen today.”

The Hawks will look to close out the Buckeyes and go for the series win at 6:05 p.m. today in Columbus.