Man accused of stealing tires

Authorities have accused a local man of stealing tires from a local business.

Robert Juhl II, 33, was charged April 10 with three counts of second-degree burglary and two counts of driving while barred as a habitual offender.

According to an Iowa City police complaint, authorities were dispatched to Iowa City Tire for a report of ongoing theft of tires from a storeroom.

When an employee reviewed surveillance video of the business from the previous month, a former employee was reportedly observed entering the business on three occasions through an unlocked backdoor and removing tires from the business.

On several of the occasions when Juhl did not enter the building, he was reportedly seen operating a motor vehicle while having a barred license. Juhl rummaged through discarded tires and later drove away.

Juhl was also seen entering the establishment parking lot riding in the front passenger seat of a 2012 Nissan Versa, exited the car, and entered the business, which was open and had employees and customers inside.

He allegedly emerged from the business carrying four used Goodyear Infinitred tries and placed them in the backseat of the vehicle, the complaint said.

Juhl sold the tires to Discount Used and New Tires for about $25, the complaint said.

Second-degree burglary is a Class-C felony. Driving while barred while a habitual offender is an aggravated misdemeanor.

— by Rebecca Morin