Iowa softball to take on Western Illinois

The Iowa softball team is hoping for clear skies today as it prepares to take Pearl Field against the Leathernecks of Western Illinois.

The game marks the beginning of the Hawkeyes’ final home stand of the year, and they will try to ride the momentum from a series victory over Indiana in Bloomington over this past weekend.

The Hawks are only 4-7 at Pearl Field this season, but they hope to use their hot bats to improve upon that mark. The team has hit 7 home runs in the last four games.

Four of those shots have come from senior Brianna Luna and junior Megan Blank. In those four games, Luna hit .455 (5-for-11) with 3 RBIs from the leadoff spot. Blank, the team’s leading hitter, was 3-for-6 with 4 walks and 3 RBIs.

The Leathernecks will likely face senior pitcher Kayla Massey. She is only 9-14 this season, but she has gone the distance in 21 of her 24 starts and has thrown three shutouts this season.

In the circle for Western Illinois will likely be junior Kayla Kirkpatrick. In only 84 innings pitched, the opposition has 118 hits and is batting .328 against Kirkpatrick, so the Hawkeyes may have some opportunities to stay hot.

Weather permitting, the Hawkeyes are expected the start under the lights at 7 p.m.

— by Kyle Mann