Wrestlers place at national championships

Four members of the Hawkeye Wrestling Club wrapped up competition at the U.S. Open Freestyle Championships over the weekend in Las Vegas. All four members from the Hawkeye Wrestling Club placed in the top eight of their weight classes.

Matt McDonough posted a 3-2 record and placed fourth at 61 kilograms. McDonough lost to eventual U.S. Open Champion Jimmy Kennedy in the semifinals.

Brent Metcalf went a perfect 4-0 at 65 kilograms en route to a U.S. Open title. Metcalf outscored his four opponents a combined 39-0.

Phil Keddy posted a 4-3 record and took sixth place at 84 kilograms. Keddy lost to former Penn State wrestler Ed Ruth, 14-10, in the quarterfinals.

Micah Burak went 4-2 at 97 kilograms en route to a fifth-place finish. Burak lost to 2012 Olympic champion Jake Varner in the quarterfinals.

In addition to the members of the Hawkeye Wrestling Club, seven current members of the Iowa wrestling team competed in the FILA Junior Freestyle National Championships over the weekend.

Topher Carton posted a 4-1 record en route to a second-place finish at 63 kilograms. Carton lost to Joseph McKenna in the finals, 10-0.

Brandon Sorenson went 8-1 at 70 kilograms and finished third place. Sorenson lost to eventual champion, Logan Massa, 6-5, in the round of 16.

Alex Meyer competed at 84 kilograms and posted a 5-2 record en route to seventh place. Meyer lost to eventual finalist, Timothy Dudley, 9-5, in the quarterfinals.

Jake Marlin (66 kilograms), Logan Thomsen (74 kilograms), Logan McQuillen (74 kilograms), and

Broc Berge (96 kilograms) all competed over the weekend but failed to place.

— by Cody Goodwin