Iowa drops pair of matches on the road

The Iowa men’s tennis team traveled to face No. 1 Ohio State and No. 22 Penn State for its final two matches of the regular season.

The Buckeyes swept by the Hawkeyes, 7-0, on April 18. Ohio State claimed the doubles point with a pair of victories at the No. 1 and No. 3 spots. The No. 2 match of senior Jonas Dierckx and junior Matt Hagan went unfinished with the duo up 6-4.

The Buckeyes claimed all six matches in singles play, with five of them decided in straight sets. Playing at the No. 4 position, Hagan forced the match to a third-set tiebreaker, but ultimately fell (6-7 [4-7], 7-6 [7-5], 1-0 [10-5]).

Iowa traveled farther east for its matchup against Penn State on Sunday. The Lions finished their season undefeated at home with a 6-1 win over the Hawkeyes.

Not much changed for Iowa — Penn State secured the doubles point behind a pair of victories at the No. 1 and No. 3 spots. Once again, the No. 2 match of Dierckx and Hagan was terminated with Iowa leading 5-4.

In singles play, the Lions claimed five of the six matches. The Hawkeyes received a big win from Dierckx, who defeated No. 33 Leo Stakhovsky (6-3, 6-4) at the No. 1 position.

Iowa will return home for a quick break before heading to East Lansing, Mich., for the Big Ten Tournament, which starts on Thursday.

— by Jordan Bucher