Men’s gymnastics set to compete at NCAA Championships

The No. 8 ranked Iowa Hawkeyes will travel to Ann Arbor, Mich., for the NCAA championships today through Saturday.

The team will try to bounce back from an ugly performance at the Big Ten championships on March 28-29. The seventh-place finish was not what head coach JD Reive expected going into the meet, and the Hawkeyes have been hard at work to fix all the little things that doomed them a few weeks ago.

Michigan won its second-consecutive Big Ten title and will attempt to win again this weekend. Iowa should be familiar with most of the competition in Ann Arbor with the exception of a few teams. Oklahoma and Stanford will be the two non-Big Ten teams that will challenge Iowa the most, with Oklahoma just recently overtaking Michigan for No. 1 overall.

After a surprising fifth-place finish at the NCAA championships a year ago, the Hawks will look to improve upon that and make it into the team finals again, which consist of the top five teams.

This will be the last meet as a Hawkeye for redshirt senior Matt McGrath. McGrath has been with the team before Reive was. Earlier this season, McGrath was named Big Ten Gymnast of the Week and the College Gymnastics Association’s Gymnast of the week, as well as setting a school record on vault with a 15.350.

— by Jack Rossi