‘Girls’ takes aim at IC

“Girls” might not be allowed on the University of Iowa campus, but the show will come to Iowa City anyway.

Jesse Peretz, one of the show’s directors, told a reporter for the website Vulture the episode(s) will be shot in Iowa City.

“We are going to definitely go to Iowa City, and we will be shooting some there,” he told the reporter at a comedy screening.

But according to Tobe Becker, HBO’s vice president of media relations, no details have been set.

In the season finale of “Girls,” the show revealed Hannah Horvath, the main character, was accepted by the Iowa Writers’ Workshop.

Early last month, producers from the show reached out to UI officials, requesting to film on campus.

Instead, university officials provided producers with contact information for city officials.

Despite Brennan’s uncertainty, Lan Samantha Chang, the director of the Writers’ Workshop, said the show’s filming could be beneficial.

“I think it will be fun when they come to Iowa City,” she said. “I would be tickled to see the Fox Head on HBO. I think it would be good for businesses in Iowa City.”

Chang said she has tried to anticipate plot twists on the show, knowing it is based in New York City.  She has exchanged emails with Sarah Heyward, an alumna of the program and writer for the show. The only information Heyward has provided Chang is that she shouldn’t worry — the writers will “keep it real.”

“For those of us in the program who will be in the fall, it feels like an external reality being constructed around us, a reality the world will see … where as we will continue on with our normal lives,” she said.