Women’s track places third at Arizona State Invitational

The Iowa women’s track team placed third at the Arizona State Invitational on March 29 and 30 with 106 points. Host Arizona State took first place with 186 points, and Arizona came in second with 115.

The Arizona State and Arizona teams are ranked nationally at No. 21 and No. 9.

Junior Annemie Smith jumped from No. 4 to No. 1 in the hammer throw with a toss of 60.38 meters, beating the Iowa record previously held by teammate Jasmine Simpson.

“Annemie really stepped up today,” UI assistant coach Scott Cappos said in a release. “She has been slowly improving, and this breakthrough has been a long time coming.”

The field-event performances played a big role in the team’s ranking; some athletes continue to make their way up the school record book.

Senior Zinnia Miller won the women’s long jump with a mark of 6.13 meters, climbing to No. 3 in the school record book.

Sophomore Dakotah Goodell set a and personal-best record in the discus with a toss of 48.73 meters. That mark is fourth in Iowa history. Goodell also set a personal-best record in the women’s javelin, finishing third overall and one spot behind teammate Amanda Stahle.

The Hawkeye women finished runner-up in both the 400-meter and 1,600-meter relays. The 1,600-meter relay team included freshmen Elexis Guster and Alexis Hernandez and sophomores MonTayla Holder and Lake Kwaza. Holder, Guster, and Kwaza teamed with freshman Brittany Brown for the 400-meter relay.

— by Katrina Do