Iowa tennis falls on the road

The No. 71 Iowa men’s tennis team recorded two losses on the road this past weekend against No. 46 Michigan and Michigan State. Iowa dropped both matches, 5-2, to go 9-7 on the season.

Against Michigan on March 29, the Wolverines took the doubles point with victories at the No. 2 and No. 3 positions. The pair of junior Matt Hagan and senior Joey White fell, 8-3, in their match. Seniors Jonas Dierckx and Chase Tomlins lost, 8-7 (7-5), at the No. 3 spot.

Michigan clinched the match after claiming four-straight singles victories. Senior Brian Alden won (4-6, 6-4, 1-0 [10-3]) at the No. 2 spot. Hagan closed the match with a 6-3, 5-7, 1-0 (10-6) victory at No. 4.

The Hawkeyes had a quick turnaround, facing Michigan State on Sunday. The Spartans opened the match clinching the doubles point. Sophomore Dominic Patrick won (6-1, 7-5) at the No. 4 spot.

Senior Michael Swank recorded the Hawkeyes second win of the day at No. 6 (7-5, 6-3). Michigan State clinched the final two matches at the No. 1 and No. 2 positions against seniors Jonas Dierckx (6-2, 6-2) and Juan Estenssoro (6-0, 7-6 [7-3]) to win the meet.

The Hawkeyes will face Purdue at home on Apr. 4. The first serve is set to begin at 2 p.m. at The Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex.

— by Jordan Bucher