Grothus receives at-large bid; NCAA Tournament seeds released

Iowa’s Brody Grothus received new life on Wednesday afternoon when the NCAA Selection Committee chose him as an at-large selection for the 2014 NCAA Wrestling Championships. His inclusion means the Iowa wrestling program will send all 10 of its varsity wrestlers to the NCAA championships for the first time since the 2010 national tournament.

Iowa’s 149-pounder didn’t manage to qualify for the national tournament through the Big Ten championships last weekend, which served as the conference’s automatic qualifying tournament. He needed to place in the top six to earn an automatic bid but went 1-2 and was eliminated in the Round-of-12.

A product of Davenport-Assumption, Grothus was one of four at-large selections, and one of 33 total qualifiers, for the 149-pound bracket at the NCAA championships, which are set for March 20-22 at the Chesapeake Energy Arena in Oklahoma City.

Grothus, just a sophomore, posted a 23-10 record this season. He became Iowa’s first 149-pound wrestler to win a match at the Big Ten Tournament since Brent Metcalf in the 2009-10 season. In qualifying for the NCAA championships, Grothus also becomes the first Iowa 149-pounder to do so since that same season.

The NCAA championship seedings were announced. The tournament is scheduled to take place March 20-22 in Oklahoma City, Okla.

Cory Clark received the No. 8 seed at 125 pounds, Tony Ramos the No. 3-seed at 133, and Grothus the No. 13 spot.

Nick Moore, Ethen Lofthouse, and Bobby Telford are seeded fifth at 165, 184, and heavyweight. Derek St. John received the No. 2 spot at 157 pounds, Mike Evans the No, 4 at 174, and Nathan Burak the No. 11 seed at 197. Josh Dziewa is unseeded at 141.