Graduate students make changes to charter

After a previous discussion in January, the graduate-student government voted on changes for next year’s government.

The Executive Council of Graduate and Professional Students voted to approve changes to its charter on Tuesday. Changes include adding seats for the Graduate Student Senate and changing names of several board positions.

Under the proposed changes, the Graduate Student Senate would be allotted five delegate seats on the Executive Council, as opposed to the current two.

The five seats would be filled by one from the general disciplinary areas of arts and humanities, social sciences and education, natural and life sciences, physical sciences and engineering, and at-large.

“This has been an ongoing discussion about how to make [the Executive Council] more representative of our student body as a whole,” said President Ben Gillig.

Gillig said the idea for more seats on the Senate was to help provide a more diverse access to the different areas of study in the graduate student population and that having more members to speak for that population might be helpful.

“It can be daunting for two people to speak for so many groups,” Gillig said.

Executive Council Vice President Matt Enriquez said that specifying the different areas of study would be helpful for the groups as well.

“We think that breaking it down by the areas of study makes it easier for the more diverse groups,” Enriquez said.

The other main point of discussion was the renaming of board positions in the Executive Council.

Other titles to be changed include the budget director, executive officer, grants coordinator, public-relations coordinator, governmental-relations liaison, and diversity liaison.

“As [the Executive Council]’s name has garnered more attention on campus, it’s easier for outsiders to understand,” Enriquez said.