Archaeologists date Hubbard artifacts

Archaeologists have further identified the age of artifacts found during a flood-recovery project.

The dig has uncovered a series of foundations from the 1800s in a continuous trench. A collection of coins helped archeologists confirm the dates of the foundations to the 1830s through 1850s. Additional finds include glass, nails, pottery, and animal bones.

But the foundations meet abruptly in the park, jumping decades, giving archaeologists a complex picture of the time frame.

“It’s a fairly complicated mixture of items sandwiched next to each other,” State Archeologist John Doershuk said.

Archaeologists previously found projectile points — or arrowheads — dating back to the 3000 B.C.E., but officials are confident the site is coherently from the early to mid-19th century.

State archaeologists are currently monitoring the excavation, but officials think it is unlikely they will find more artifacts.

UI officials are working with state archaeologists and historic-preservation officials in order to keep Federal Emergency Management Funds.

Rod Lehnertz, the Facilities Management director of planning, design, and construction, previously said flood recovery will be held up between two and three weeks, depending on the weather.