Falling metal postpones Iowa-Indiana game indefinitely

The Iowa-Indiana men’s basketball game scheduled for 8 p.m. (CST) Tuesday was postponed as a result of metal falling from the ceiling of the Hoosiers’ Assembly Hall.

According to reports, roughly 6 ½ hours before game time, a metal facing approximately 8 feet long and 14 inches wide fell and damaged seats in the northwest corner of the arena.

Currently, the teams do not have a makeup date set, but by Big Ten rules, the schools have 72 hours to do so. If they are unable to reschedule during that window, the conference will intervene.

“Safety is our No.1 priority,” Indiana Athletics Director Fred Glass said. “Our university engineers have advised us to postpone events in Assembly Hall until it can be determined what caused the facing to fall and ensure the safety of everyone attending an event in the facility.”

Iowa AD Gary Barta also released a statement regarding the game’s postponement.

“Obviously, we are disappointed [Tuesday’s] game had to be canceled. Fran [McCaffery] and his team are in contention for a Big Ten title and were looking forward to the opportunity to getting back on the court,” Barta said.

“The most important part of this equation is safety. We are in full support of Indiana’s decision to postpone the game based on the issues with Assembly Hall. Coach McCaffery and his team are returning from Indiana tonight. We are working with Indiana Athletics Director Fred Glass and the Big Ten to determine when and, possibly, where to play the game.”

The idea of moving the game to Bankers Life Field House — the home of the Indiana Pacers — was kicked around by officials. And according to reports, the Pacers made the building available to the teams Wednesday night. But, for logistical reasons, Indiana was not able to accept the Pacers’ offer.

Iowa’s next scheduled game is Saturday, when it will host No. 16 Wisconsin in Carver-Hawkeye. The Hawkeyes were defeated by the Badgers on Jan. 5, 75-71.