NFL Combine profile: Conor Boffeli

Name: Conor Boffeli

Boffeli certainly wasn’t Iowa’s best lineman in 2013, but his versatility to play both guard positions got him on the field and kept him there. He was no Brandon Scherff, but Boffeli did enough to become a regular member of arguably Iowa’s best position group. The Hawkeyes are known to pump out offensive lineman, so it’s to Boffeli’s credit that he was able to earn a regular spot with the unit.

It’s even a little strange that Boffeli earned an invitation to the combine, while right tackle Brett Van Sloten did not. Van Sloten has a bigger frame and was an unsung hero on Iowa’s offensive line, but that’s not the point. Iowa has a history of sending offensive lineman to the league (there are currently seven former Iowa offensive lineman on NFL rosters), and given their tendency to do well at the combine, Boffeli has more than a fighting chance to earn a spot on a NFL team.

Boffeli reminds us most of former Iowa offensive lineman Adam Gettis, who’s draft stock skyrocketed in 2012 following an excellent combine. He was taken in the fifth round by the Washington Redskins, where he remains a backup guard. Going into the combine, Gettis was rated as a seventh round or undrafted pick by most draft services, but his performance in Indianapolis helped him get calls by just about every NFL team. Gettis recorded the best 40-yard dash time of all guards, and had the best broad jump score of all offensive lineman. If there’s anyone that can get a player ready for the combine, its Iowa strength and conditioning coach Chris Doyle.

Right now, Boffeli is rated as a late-round draft pick or free agent by many draft services, similar to Gettis. He was a regular starter for just his senior season at Iowa, but he played well against solid Big Ten defensive lines, and was an important part of shutting down Minnesota’s Ra’Shede Hageman, who many believe to be a first round pick as a defensive lineman.

Boffeli might not have been a household name while he was at Iowa. But neither were Gettis, Matt Tobin, or Marshall Yanda. All three of those guys appear on an NFL roster right now. He could play guard or even center in the NFL, and front offices love a player that is versatile because it saves them money. Picking an Iowa offensive lineman doesn’t seem to be a huge risk for NFL teams given their success in the league, and it’s not hard to picture his name getting called from Radio City Music Hall come late April.