MLK Day will be a holiday next year

Among the 2014-15 Calendar report, School Board members announced Martin Luther King Jr. Day will return to a holiday next year.

After deciding to hold classes on Martin Luther King, Jr. Day this year, the school board received numerous complaints and concerns from the community.

Board member Chris Lynch said these comments prompted the board to mark the day as a holiday in the 2014-15 school year.

“It was based on community input,” he said. “There broad based input to have a holiday … and to keep the programming.”

The School District used the day to teach children, K-12, about King, focusing on acceptance, peace, and love. The students held silent marches as well as presentations and discussions.

Lynch said he hopes the programming taught in schools during this year will carry into future programming, emphasizing it can be taught on the days leading up to the holiday.

Superintendent Steve Murley said the discussion of making the day a holiday had come up in earlier meetings and the community dissent proved effective.

Murley also said the information presented to students during the day was beneficial and hopes to see it continue in the future, although he said it is something that will need to be discussed further.

“It’s a balancing act between having … educational and service learning opportunities in school or in the community,” he said.

— by Lily Abromeit