State Board of Regents to vote on capital projects

The state Board of Regents will consider recommending approval for four University of Iowa capital projects during its Feb. 5 and 6 meetings.

The projects include an addition to the College of Public Health building, a repair in the steam utility enterprise systems, a relocation of the UI Hospitals Clinics Chronic Pain Clinic and Breast Imaging Center, and waterproofing work in Pappajohn Pavilion.

UI officials are requesting permission to proceed with planning for the fifth floor of the College of Public Health building. The project will cost roughly $3 million to $4 million and fill the nearly 12,000 square feet of space with meeting spaces, offices, and computer work stations. The space will act as the administrative home for an informatics initiative announced in November 2013.

The UI will also request permission to plan the steam distribution project at the intersection of Riverside Drive and Grand Avenue. The line supplies steam to the west UI campus, including the UIHC. This first phase will cost roughly $8 million.

The UI will additionally request the regents to accept Shive-Hattery’s bid to re-evaluate the structural issues for the tunnel system.

The university will request approval of the schematic design and budget for the Chronic Pain Clinic and Breast Imaging Center Relocation, a $4.6 million project, whcih would move the two to the Pappajohn Pavilion. The relocation would open space to develop four operating rooms.

The university will request approval of a $2.7 million project — an increase of $200,000 — to repair roof slab that led to rain leaking into patient care and support facilities in the Pappajohn Pavilion exterior courtyard.

— by Kevin Svec