Anticipating the State of the Union

Emma Monroe, UI freshman

‘I probably won’t watch the address, because I don’t really know anything about politics, but I’m not really a fan of Obama because I have more conservative views on social issues.’

Clarissa Hird, UI freshman

‘I hope the president addresses the issues of the health-care website because it has been inefficient and hard to access. And even for those people who could access the site, it would crash.’

David Galeano, UI junior

‘Although I do agree with many of Obama’s political stances, he’s too apologetic. I want him to be more direct and confident and stop beating around the bush.’

Rhya Ajam, UI junior

‘He’s very wishy-washy. I think he wants to maintain his popularity so bad that it makes him afraid to make any big changes that may make a lot of people upset.’

Timothy Hagle, UI political-science associate professor

‘The president knows he has a small window of opportunity left, so he’s going to start looking at his legacy and how to build onto it. In reality, he only has a few months left before the races and people start focusing on that instead.’

Rep. Dave Jacoby, D-Coralville

‘I want to see a unifying speech from the president but without any baloney. I’m interested in hearing about budgeting without people fighting every step of the way.

‘His speech needs to let D.C. know that they need to cut the bullshit and get to work.’

Sen. Joe Bolkcom, D-Iowa City

‘I’m interested in hearing about the issue of income inequality, and his plan on helping struggling families. This includes the minimum wage being raised to $10.10 and the Affordable Care Act.’

Rep. Jake Highfill, R-Johnston

‘I’m looking forward to hearing how he is going to balance the budget and how we won’t be bankrupt for the next five generations.’

Rep. Dean Fisher, R-Garwin

‘I’m interested in hearing how he plans to keep budget under control.

‘I deal with state issues, so I haven’t really paid much attention to national issues.’