Hawkeyes compete at Jack Johnson Invitational

Last weekend, the Iowa track and field teams traveled to Minneapolis to compete in the Jack Johnson Invitational, hosted by Minnesota. Both men and women finished second in the Jan. 25 meet, posting a team score of 101 and 104.50, respectively.

The Hawkeyes claimed first-place titles in several events. Senior Tevin-Cee Mincy took the men’s title in the 60 meters, and freshman Brittany Brown finished first in the women’s 60 when she clocked at a time of 7.43, setting a Jack Johnson Invitational record.

Iowa picked up both triple jump titles. Sophomore Klyvens Delaunay took the men’s title with a leap of 50-5¼ (15.37 meters), and senior Zinnia Miller claimed the women’s title when she posted a mark of 39-11½ (12.18 meters).

The women’s 1,600 relay (sophomore MonTayla Holder and freshmen Mahnee Watts, Elexis Guster, and Alexis Hernandez) also finished first.

The Hawkeyes claimed yet another title when freshman Kevin Docherty finished first in the men’s mile, crossing the line in 4:12.26.

The indoor season looks promising for the Iowa track and field teams, after a successful season-opener at the Big 4 Dual and the achievements last weekend.

“Overall, I think it was another step in the right direction,” director of track and field Larry Wieczorek said in a release. “It was another day of making good progress. We gave Minnesota a run and beat some good teams. It was a good day for the Hawkeyes.”

The Hawkeyes travel to Ames on Jan. 31-Feb. 1 for the Bill Bergen Invitational.

— by Katrina Do