Grad student group mulls expansion

In their first meeting of the new semester, the members of the Executive Council of Graduate and Professional Students discussed adding more delegates to the council from a wider range of colleges.

“As we continue to evolve as a student government, our thinking on the executive board is that there should be broader representation, particularly of the graduate college,” said Ben Gillig, the president of the group.

Gillig suggested adding seats for delegates from the College of Education, the College of Public Health, the College of Nursing, and several others, to report on news in the college. The delegates would also update the council on the colleges’ current projects, as well as new developments.

Although members expressed concerns about working with larger colleges, such as the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, which has been small divisions in it, Gillig said he did not envision having at least two representatives for each college.

Gillig said that begin an “exploratory process” and report back to the group with more concrete numbers and ideas about adding in delegates and would probably report back at the March meeting.

“Every year is a new year, a different year,” Gillig said. “It’s just a good thing to keep in mind.”

— by Megan Deppe