Council to vote on Gateway project

The Iowa City City Council will vote on the controversial Gateway Project tonight.

The proposed multimillion-dollar project would raise Dubuque Street, the “front door,” of Iowa City, and replace the aging Park Road bridge with a higher structure.

The Gateway Project has been in the works for more than five years and has had several public discussions in the past year, as well as discussion at City Council meetings.

Concern has been raised by Iowa City citizens about the effect of raising Dubuque Street. Some said the project would be defamation to decades-old homes, trees, and wildlife habitats. There have also been concerns about the price of the project.

Three designs were proposed for the bridge: a $35.01 million deck girder bridge at 200 plus 1 foot; a $38.31 million through arch at 200 plus 1 foot; and a $36.65 million deck girder bridge at 500 plus 1 foot.

Some councilors, including Susan Mims, have been concerned about the effect raising Dubuque Street might have.

The project was proposed in order to prepare Iowa City for future traffic projections.

Despite the various concerns, others are glad the council is preparing for the future.

Councilor Kingsley Botchway said he is unsure if the project will be approved, and there is still much discussion to be had at the council’s work session on Tuesday.

“I think it depends on the design,” he said. “I think there’s a lot to be discussed.”

— by Daniel Seidl