Life after Grant Field

The six seniors on the Hawkeye field hockey team have played their last games on Grant Field and are set to graduate in the coming months. *The Daily Iowan* caught up with them to talk about plans after college.

No. 28 Kelsey Boyce — Califon, N.J.

“Oh, the golden question; I’ll let you know when I figure that out. I’m graduating in December, and I’m hoping to get an internship with the Athletics Department, or go home and get an internship with a couple companies I’m looking at there. It’s kind of all I’ve been focusing on is the season right now,” Boyce said. “I’ve talked to a couple clubs back home, and I’ll be going home for winter break … I’m probably going coach at a club back home for a little bit just to keep my feet in field hockey — it’s hard to just give that up.”

No. 2 Aubrey Coleman — Mickleton, N.J.

For me, it’s really up in the air; I’m exploring options. Going back to school, getting a job, preferably getting a job. For me it’s definitely staying in the athletics world; I’d like to work in the athletics department at a university; I seem to not be able to get away from athletics,” Coleman said. “It’s one of my last shots at hockey — no regrets has been my motto this season. This is it for field hockey as of right now for me. I definitely like the sport so much that who knows where I’ll be in a couple months.”

No. 18 Karli Johansen — North Vancouver, B.C., Canada

“The plan right now is to go back to Vancouver and train with the national team. I’ll go back to school eventually — grad school — but I’m not sure exactly what for yet. I’ll take a break from school for probably a year, try to get a job of some sort, and play field hockey,” Johansen said.

No. 12 Kelsey Mitchell — Berlin, N.J.

“This is it [for field hockey]. I’m an accounting major, so I have an internship set up for the summer, and then I’ll have to do grad school to get my CPA license. So, yep,” Mitchell said.

No. 49 Niki Schultheis — Hamburg, Germany

“As of right now, I’m planning on staying in the United States, and if I do that, there will be no opportunity for me to play. If I went home, I probably could enroll in either my club that I started playing field hockey for or for a different club. I could probably figure it out, and there would be more opportunities for me to play,” Schultheis said. “[If I stay here], I would look for a job and would probably try to enroll in some other type of sports team for fun. I like the team aspect of it, so I’d like to keep that going somehow.”

No. 14 Marike Stribos — Brussels, Belgium

“First, I’m going to focus on academics a little more, so I’m going to go to Europe to get a master’s [in finance] and then depending on which country I go to, I think I might play,” Stribos said.