On-campus robbery triggers Hawk Alert

A Hawk Alert was issued Monday evening after officials received a report of a robbery in the area of the Boyd Law Building.

The University of Iowa police issued an emergency alert at 8 p.m. stating two nondescript male suspects reportedly knocked down another man from behind, and stole his coat, which contained two tickets to the Juicy J concert.

According to a press release from the Iowa City police, the incident was originally reported to them, but UI police said they would investigating it because it occurred on campus.

UI police said the two male suspects fled the scene on moped, but they had no additional information as of 9 p.m. The Iowa City police reported the area was checked and no suspects were located, and the victim allegedly received scraped knuckles during the robbery.

There were also technical difficulties with the Hawk Alert; originally, the UI website and emergency information link read “REPLACE THIS LINE: with activity/event, location, and (optional) recommended protective action.” However, the correct information was updated shortly thereafter.

Stephen Pradarelli, the director of University News Services, said the technical difficulties could be caused by “user errors” in sending out the messages. The UI uses Black Board Connect to send messages, and the system requires different text for different forms of communication.

“… Dispatch fills out a lot of fields, and periodically, a field can be left blank,“ he said.

Pradarelli said that while there were issues with the website alerts, the “primary” sources for students’ email, text, and telephone messages were correct and the incorrect messages were fixed shortly.

The UI has encountered previous issues with the Hawk Alert system including Nov. 12, June 26, and April 2012, according to The Daily Iowan archives. 

Check The Daily Iowan later today for more developments.

— by Brent Griffiths