City council candidate focuses on affordable housing

As the Nov. 5 election approaches, Iowa City City Council candidate Royceann Porter believes her message of equality will strike a chord with citizens as they prepare to head to the polls.

Porter, a 25-year resident of Iowa City, is seeking the council’s District B seat in aj race against current Councilor Terry Dickens. She views the seat as a position she is well-suited for, because of her various roles in community organizations.

“I feel like I’ve already been representing District B in my community, and I just wanted to run so that I can represent the district for real,” Porter said.

Some of the more notable organizations Porter serves on include the Iowa City Citizens Police Review Board, the Coalition for Racial Justice, and the Juvenile Justice Youth Development Work Group.

Porter stresses diversity as the central focus of her platform, specifically in regards to access to affordable housing.

“Affordable housing is totally an issue here in Iowa City, and we need to maximize funding for creating enough affordable housing,” Porter said.

Previously this year, the City Council had a discussion in regards to housing affordability.  

Councilor Rick Dobyns previously told *The Daily Iowan* the city’s efforts to address affordable housing. These efforts include requesting information on the city’s rent, housing prices, and income as well as the surrounding municipalities, in order to help tailor solutions specific to Iowa City’s housing needs.

“I think we’re trying to follow suit with other cities by trying to create another incentive,” Dobyns said in an Oct. 16 article. “We don’t have to be exactly like the other cities, but I think we can still lead, and we can still be ahead of the game.”

Similarly, Porter also emphasized the idea of searching for better solutions in other cities.

“We need to look at other models and follow other cities as to how they go about improving affordable housing,” Porter said.

In regards to the 21-ordinance, Porter said she feels the ordinance should stay in effect, although she doesn’t view the issue as of particular importance.

Porter hopes all citizens of Iowa City will recognize the changing dynamics of the city, and her platform addresses those issues.

“I just feel that we need to embrace the emerging diversity of Iowa City, and engage the community in that process.”