UISG unanimously votes to allocate money to student organizations

At their second Senate meeting of the academic year, University of Iowa Student Government members unanimously voted to allocate $11, 906 to student organizations at the UI.

UISG Senator and head of the Student Assembly Budgeting and Allocating Committee Patrick Bartoski addressed his fellow senators Tuesday, reminding them that the money goes to student organizations for this particular fiscal period.

“We decided that we were not going to allocate to events that happen in the spring that is post deadline,” Bartoski said.

Among the $13,000 the committee had to apportion, they decided to save some for the next period.

Bartoski also said that money would not be given to organizations simply on the basis of conventional travel.

Drew Turner, chief financial officer for UISG, said that this year organizations would only have two chances to apply instead of the three supplemental periods available in the past.

“That’s just for convenience and ease,” Turner said. “It’s simple because you have two semesters, two supplemental periods, it makes sense that way.”

Turner also said priority funding was placed on student organizations that did not apply during the last period and have not received funding for this year.

— by Lily Abromeit