Hawkeyes to host second home invitational

The Iowa cross-country team will return to action today as they host the annual Black and Gold invitational at the Ashton cross-country course in Iowa City.

The Hawks will play host to three teams, Alabama, Baylor, and Iowa State. 

Both the Iowa men and women’s team at will try to maintain their relatively rankings.  The women are currently ranked No. 10, while the men sit at No. 11 in the Midwest region.

Getting the green light for the Black and Gold women are freshman Katie Adams, Tess Wilberding, and Samantha Zishka, sophomores Lisa Gordon, Grace Haerr, Courtney Martin, Gina O’Brien, and Rachel Price, junior Jocelyn Todd, and seniors Shannon Maser and Lena Placzek.  

The men’s team will return the same starting runners as last meet, and will be led by team captain Jon-Michael Brandt, who was kept out of the meet because of a coaches decision two weeks ago, and freshman standout Kevin Docherty.  In addition, freshman Alana Jones and sophomore Carolyn Newhouse will run un-attached.

Leading the charge for the Hawkeyes will be senior Placzek and freshman Docherty.  Placzek tied a career-best finish in the last meet, coming in second, while Docherty took first in his first-ever appearance as a Hawkeye, running a 12:34. Junior Kevin Lewis will also try to make an impact.

This will be the final home meet for the cross-country team this season.

— by Ryan Rodriguez and Jordan Hansen