Northside Marketplace sees new development

New residential and commercial building set to come to North Side.

After months of talk with the North Side Neighborhood, Lepic-Kroeger Relators will bring a new building to the area that will serve as a residential and commercial space.

The space was scrutinized initially for its large size and structure, both which have changed after several meetings between Lepic-Kroeger officials and North Side community members.

“We had three neighborhood meetings, and everyone liked the complete project,” said Tom Kaut, a relator with Lepic-Kroeger. “… This is for the older residents who want to live near downtown but not in it.”

Jeff Davidson, the director of the city’s Planning & Community Development Department, agreed that although there was conflict with the neighborhood, the community and the realtors are pleased with the final result.

“This project underwent a lot of scrutiny by the North Side neighborhood, the Planning and Zoning Commission, and the City Council,” Davidson said in an email. “I think we ended up with a project that is going to be very beneficial to the North Side Marketplace. The housing will be suitable for students or nonstudents who want to be close to campus.”

The building, which will be located on Linn Street, will consist of 12 apartments and have 2,000 square feet of commercial space on its first floor. The building is set to cost $3 million to $4 million. It will also be the first building in Iowa City to will have a rooftop garden.

In addition to the project on Linn Street, Lepic-Kroeger will also be involved with a building near the Iowa City New Pioneer Co-Op, 22 S. Van Buren St. The building will also be a residential and commercial space. It will have 24 1-bedroom condos and a 4,000 square foot commercial space that Kaut hopes will house a restaurant.

Kaut also briefly spoke on an upcoming project that will likely bring more young professionals to the Iowa City downtown area.

“We have a company that is looking into a space at the Washington Plaza that will bring lots of people into Iowa City,” he said. “The city of Iowa City wants to employ and keep young professionals in the downtown area. We envision both retirees and young professionals using the space.”

Kaut said although dealing with conflict from the community may be challenging at times, he is continually happy with the upcoming building on the North Side District.

“It’s difficult dealing with sensitive issues and residents, but it still is worth it in the long run, and we’re very proud and excited for the project.” Kaut said.

— by Lauren Coffey