Iowa City Mayor Pro-Tem Susan Mims announces candidacy for an at-large seat

Susan Mims announced Thursday she will run for re-election for an at-large seat. She was first elected to the City Council in November 2009, and she has served as mayor pro tem since January 2012.

In looking back on her accomplishments in her first term, Mims emphasized the hiring of City Manager Tom Markus as well as the council adopting a strategic plan for the city.

Mims said the council has gone great lengths with every area of emphasis.

“The council and city staff have made significant improvements in these five areas over the last nearly two years,” she said.

Looking toward the next four years, she stressed the importance for continuing to remain diligent with the budget and finances.

“The state Legislature has made changes to the property tax structure that are projected to cut the city’s revenues by as much as $50 million over the next 10 years,” Mims said. “We will need to look for more efficiencies in our operations and new sources of revenue if we are to continue the current level of services.”

Mims said she plans to continue to help Iowa City.

Mims also serves as the head of the Council’s Economic Development Committee and as vice chairwoman of the Johnson County Emergency Communications Policy Board

A resident of Iowa City for more than 35 years, married and mother of four, Mims has two engineering degrees from the University of Iowa.  She has been a professional financial planner for the last 13 years.