UI recognized for sustainability efforts

The University of Iowa has been recognized for its efforts in sustainability.

The UI has received a Sustainability Tracking, Assessment, and Rating System gold rating from the Association for Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education.

UI President Sally Mason said in a press release that she is pleased the UI has been recognized.

“Completing STARS is an important step in validating our sustainability achievements and charting the course toward new efforts,” she said. “It is the most comprehensive report of campus sustainability progress we’ve produced to date. We are honored that [the association] has recognized our excellent progress."

In 2010 the UI adopted seven targets for the university to focus on to increases sustainability by the year 2020. These targets address energy conservation, renewable energy, waste diversion, carbon-efficient transportation, student success in sustainability, research, and partnerships to promote sustainability for all Iowans.

Mason also signed an agreement with the Environmental Protection Agency to formalize the school’s commitment to these goals.

To receive a gold rating from the association, the UI had to turn in information about the university’s achievements in 135 categories relating to sustainability. The rating system is open to all higher education institutions in the United States and Canada.

“STARS was developed by the campus sustainability community to provide high standards for recognizing campus sustainability efforts,” said sustainability association Executive Director Wendy Scott in the press release. “The University of Iowa has demonstrated a substantial commitment to sustainability by achieving a STARS Gold Rating and is to be congratulated for its efforts.”