Pedestrian killed in IC crash

Iowa City police are investigating the death of an Iowa City resident following a crash on the evening of Aug. 24.

According to a city press release issued Monday, Iowa City police, Iowa City firefighters, and the Johnson County Ambulance Service responded to reports that a pedestrian had been struck by a vehicle on Highway 6 at 9:04 p.m.

The accident occurred between Sturgis Corner Drive and the river bridge.

The area is straddled by several service-oriented businesses including Village Inn, Coldwell Banker, and Hampton Inn.

Preliminary investigation information has revealed that a vehicle traveling westbound struck 52-year-old Gregory Bowker of Iowa City as he was crossing the highway.

At the time of the crash, the vehicle was operated by 28 year-old Judith Miller of Kalona.

KC McGinnis, an eyewitness at the crash scene, who phoned in the original 911 call at around 9 p.m., said he became immediately aware of the situation after he was confronted by a woman believed to be a friend of Bowker’s.

Before stopping to aid with the crash, McGinnis said he was traveling westbound on Highway 6 following dinner at Los Portales, 1402 S. Gilbert St.

McGinnis said he identified two other individuals who were with Bowker during the time of the accident.

“He was breathing really unevenly and unconscious with a lot of blood,” he said.

Instincts told McGinnis to offer one of the women his shirt so she could wrap Bowker’s head to try to prevent blood loss.

Following the crash and medical examinations, Bowker was transported to the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, where he later died from injuries sustained in the crash.

Before leaving the scene between 9:45 and 10 p.m., McGinnis said he noticed unique police officer reactions.

“These people kind of fit the profile of homeless people,” he said, noting unkempt hair and baggy, ill-fitting clothing.

McGinnis said officers told him alcohol had been a factor in the crash.

“I was a little bit struck by the officer almost seeing this thing coming, almost like he was annoyed more than anything,” he said.

The crash continues to remain under investigation at this time.

– by Quentin Misiag